Reading Aloud To Children
A talk with the parents of Sha Manyu Global School
on 9th March 2019
Reading comes naturally to grown-ups, but for early learners it is a complex process involving phonics, coding, decoding etc. So, it has to be done in a healthy environment that brings about a positive attitude towards reading among the children. A process that we will take care during the academic year.
Till they gain the fluency in reading, reading aloud is one of the most important things parents and teachers can do with children on an everyday basis. Reading aloud builds many important foundational skills, introduces vocabulary, provides a model of fluent, expressive reading, and helps children recognize what reading for pleasure is all about.
So, in the ‘How to Read aloud’ session, discussion was around the importance and how to go about ‘Loud Reading” to the little ones.
12 Commandments to Reading Aloud
1. Read to the child every day at a regular time.
2. Allow children to choose the book.
3. Encourage the child hold the book and turn pages.
4. Read slowly. Allow for processing time.is.
5. Act enthusiastic even if you are not.
6. What interests you may not be to your children.
7. Cultivating a sense of the silly and enjoy it.
8. Point to the words as you read.It helps you keep awakes.
9. Do not yawn.
10. Be prepared to read the same book over and over again.
11. Never skip a page, a word or a phrase. You want the child to trust you.
12. Set your limits. Say, “this is the last one.”